Tuesday 2 April 2013

Shape Shifters

I've been working on a new series of work in the past month - the Shape Shifters - and realised that it was about time I posted some background info (and images) on my blog!

The Walkers (Shape Shifters) Image: Simon Bruntnell
As usual with my work, they started life far from the kiln (and indeed the studio): on my living room floor.  While Francis reads the paper on Sunday, or we watch an old movie, I often sit on the floor with a cutting mat, some cardboard, and a Stanley knife (my favourite tool).  Footling about is what happens next - sometimes it goes somewhere, sometimes it doesn't.  That week I was messing about with concentric squares.

I started rotating/twisting the concentric squares - which gave a satisfying spiral.

That, of course, made me wonder about other geometric shapes - would I get a nice spiral with those too?  And at that point I resorted to some help from the computer.  (When I move beyond squares, I find that SketchUp achieves far better hexagons and pentagons than a pair of compasses and a protractor..! I can then print them out, and use them as cutting templates)

And you also get the chance to play with your shapes on the screen, to save your index finger from unnecessary cutting! The screen grab here, shows my pentagon templates all stacked up and rotated.

And the spirals worked well with the triangles and hexagons too.  So my Sunday afternoon at the cutting mat soon ran into Sunday evening...and Monday morning...as I cut out lots of geometric shapes. The photo on the left shows the triangular and pentagonal stacks.

These various stacks were then enclosed in boxes and varnished with Shellac, so that they could be cast.  My first casts (of the squares) were done in gelflex (middle photo).  But I  wasn't that pleased with the final result.  So I moved on to try a soft grade silicon (photo on the right).  It isn't as economic as gelflex - because it can't be reused.  But it is stronger (and seemed to give a sharper result too).

And these "positive" rubber moulds, I made the kiln moulds for the glass. Again, the silicon moulds produced the best results (so I've now made my square Shape Shifter mould in silicon too!) As you can see from Simon Bruntnell's photo of the test pieces, the first glass came out relatively well.  Please note that these have been coldworked (they aren't fresh from the kiln)!

Now I want to do some further work on the colours and the presentation. I'm thinking of casting the shapes in Jesmonite as well as glass - so that I can start building up some tessellations.

No comments:

Post a Comment