Thursday 21 November 2013

Winter warmer: cast glass in the wild

Recently I've been pondering the possibilities of taking my cast glass outdoors.  I've done some sculptural pieces for a roof garden in the past, and there's no doubt that natural light brings out the best in glass. Light filtering through trees and the sun's changing position throughout the day mean that the work gains a fourth dimension: time.

But rather than the glass sitting on a plinth, I'm now considering how it might actually interact with the natural environment - using what already exists to support and display the glass. So a crisp autumn day this week was the perfect excuse to try out some ideas in the Clent Hills. OK, I had to improvise a bit, as I haven't designed special pieces.  But I think there's some potential to take the idea forward. We need more wild glass!

If you'd like to see more pics, this Wild Glass link will take you to the full set on Flickr.  To find out more about the wonderful location they were taken, visit the Clent Hills National Trust page. It's a great place for a walk, and there are some rather good pubs in and around Clent if you like a Sunday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment